Four Christmas’ out of a divorce now and I think I’ve learned a thing or two about how to keep from falling off the Holiday blues cliff.
- Drink only a moderate amount of eggnog. I know, it’s yummy and creamy and tastes like the holidays – but friends – it will make you 5 pounds heavier. Trust me on this one.
- Avoid staying in your pajama’s for two weeks straight. Turns out, when drinking too much of the aforementioned Egg Nog, the extra 5 pounds is hardly noticeable until you have to put on that back to work outfit January 5th.
- Any dated ornament. Remember how cute it was to buy a new ornament each year to remember all the cute things you did as a couple that year? They no longer hold their cute value after your no longer married to the cute person. Leave those at the bottom of the ornament bin and go buy yourself some new ornaments.
- Modular. In the same spirit of “out with the old and in with the new,” I took myself down to Walmart to buy a brand new tree that was mine, all mine. I thought I was getting a great deal on a fake tree, but the word “modular” on the box completely escaped me. Suffice it say, what should have taken an hour tops, took about three days.
- Beating yourself up. The holiday season is going to bum you out. Period. Roll with it, hang out with friends. Take your kids ice skating and sledding. But please know on January 1st, the world looks a whole lot brighter.
Once Christmas is over and the decorations have all been put back in their place, a new year starts fresh. New beginnings, new future and possibly a new jeans. Forge on my single friends!